Jacob-und-Wilhelm-Grimm-Zentrum, Berlin Building, Max Dudler Project, Photo, Design, Image
Key Architectural Development in Berlin, Germany – design by architect Max Dudler Architect
5 Sep 2009
Date built: 2009
Architect: Max Dudler
Library building completed Oct 2009
Photos © Adrian Welch
Part of Humboldt-Universität
More information online soon
The Humboldt University of Berlin (German: Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, HU Berlin) is one of Berlin’s oldest universities, founded in 1810 as the University of Berlin (Universität zu Berlin) by the liberal Prussian educational reformer and linguist Wilhelm von Humboldt, whose university model has strongly influenced other European and Western universities.
After the unification of East and West Germany, the university was radically restructured and all professors had to reapply for their positions. The faculty was largely replaced with West German professors, among them the historian Heinrich August Winkler. Today, Humboldt University is a state university with a large number of students (36.986 in 2014) after the model of West German universities, and like its counterpart the Free University of Berlin.
Location:Georgenstrasse, Berlin, Germany