Plús Hús flat-packed prefab home, Accessory Dwelling Units Los Angeles, Building
Plús Hús flat-packed prefab home by Minarc
New Californian Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) – design by Minarc Architects
Aug 8, 2018
Plús Hús flat-packed prefab home by Minarcg in LA
Design: Minarc – L.A.-based architects (and parents) Erla Dogg and Tryggvi Thorsteinsson
Location: anywhere – but first to be in Santa Monica, California, USA
Plús Hús flat-packed prefabricated home by Minarc
LA Architects Bring Nordic Design and Eco Cred to the Granny Flat Space, Housing Crisis Conversation with Plús Hús, an Efficient Accessory Dwelling Unit
Minarc injects functional minimalism and Icelandic-inspired sustainability into Plús Hús, a flat-packed prefab home that cuts through red tape for a valuable income source
(Los Angeles, CA – August, 2018) – Award-winning environmentally conscious architectural firm, Minarc, has announced an innovative building solution, Plús Hús, in response to California’s housing crisis and the easing of statewide regulations regarding Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs). Several of the mini-dwellings are being erected throughout Los Aneles, Ventura and San Diego counties with the debut slated for this fall in Santa Monica.
Icelandic for “plus house,” the 16’ X 20’ modern structure is a customizable detached private unit on one’s property designed for personal use, or to create a valuable revenue stream to help ease mortgage payments. It can be a guest house, home office, yoga studio or low-maintenance Airbnb rental.
“Installing Plús Hús has to be as simple and efficient for homeowners as possible—cranes, heavy duty construction, noise for months—we wanted to avoid all of that,” said Erla Dögg Ingjaldsdóttir, who founded Minarc with her husband Tryggvi Thorsteinsson. “It’s a characteristic of our culture in Iceland to pay attention to the relationships between nature and how we live.”
With their home and offices in Santa Monica, Dögg and Thorsteinsson have become thought leaders on the ADU frontier and have long been proponents of zero-waste. In fact, its mnmMOD panels are the byproduct of the duo’s culture shock regarding construction waste, particularly wood. Made in LA, the mnmMOD panel system was first marketed to the building trade as a wood alternative: They are versatile, recyclable, and extremely energy efficient.
Dögg continued: “To end the housing crisis, we have to work together as a community. Plús Hús allows homeowners to expand their community, literally starting in their own backyard.”
There are three models of Plús Hús: The “Plús Hús Open,” with three walls and a sliding glass door, the “Plús Hús Open+,” which includes the addition of a bathroom, and the “Plús Hús Full” which features a kitchen along the back wall.
On The Plús Hús Side:
The following are attributes that differentiate this product in the ADU space.
- They are produced under Minarc supervision by the established prefab company, mnmMOD, both of whom possess more than a decade of experience within the high-efficiency prefab construction industry.
- Plús Hús are locally made at mnmMOD’s sustainable fabrication facility in downtown Los Angeles.
- There is almost no waste produced throughout fabrication, shipping, and construction processes.
- Fully modular building: Flat-packed shipping with simple on-site assembly which eases delivery and construction processes as well as overall cost.
- Due to the incorporation of mnmMOD’s highly efficient, no-wood prefab panel system, the Plús Hús:
○ Does not support fire, an important consideration in Southern California.
○ Eliminates the common issues of termites, mold, rot, and warping.
○ Contains no dyes, formaldehyde, or Molten-Carbonate Fuel Cells(MCFC), and does not release Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) or other harmful toxins into the living environment.
○ Extremely high insulation value which minimizes energy usage and associated costs, resulting in a structure that is 40 percent more efficient than a traditionally-built home.
○ Built with 30 percent recycled content, and completely recyclable at the end of its life cycle.
Plús Hús makes adding an attractive private space to one’s property not only more affordable and environmentally responsible than existing ADU options, but also extremely simple. When purchasing a unit, homeowners can elect to use their own contractor, or can sit back and relax, confident in the fact that from start to finish, all site visits, permitting processes, site prep, delivery, and assembly of the Plús Hús is managed by Minarc’s experienced team, leaving no detail to chance and ensuring a perfectly constructed unit. Pricing for the units ranges from $37,000- $49,000, not including site prep, delivery or installation.
Building images / information received 070818
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Architecture in Los Angeles
L.A. Architectural Projects
Los Angeles Architecture Designs – chronological list
Los Angeles Architectural Tours by e-architect
Another LA architectural design by SPF:architects (SPF:a) on e-architect:
Wallis Annenberg center for the Performing Arts, Beverly Hills, California, USA
image : SPF:a
Wallis Annenberg center for the Performing Arts
Contemporary LA Architecture
image from SCI-Arc
SCI-Arc News in 2018
Little Ground Cafe, Glendale
Architecture: WORD (Warren Office for Research and Design)
photograph : Chris Warren
New Cafe in Glendale
The Archer School for Girls Camus Masterplan, 11725 W Sunset Blvd
Design: Parallax Architects
image © Parallax Architects/Shimahara Illustration
The Archer School for Girls
Beer Belly on Long Beach
Design: Make Architecture
photograph : Monika Siauw
Long Beach Bar
Comments / photos for the Plús Hús flat-packed prefab home by Minarc Architecture page welcome
Rancho Cienega Sports Complex LA, California, USA