Kaiser Wilhelm Gedaechniskirche, Berlin Church Building, Egon Eiermann Project, Photo, Design, Image
Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche Berlin
Church Development Berlin, Germany – design by architect Egon Eiermann / Franz Heinrich Schwechten
page updated 25 Jul 2016 ; 5 Sep 2009
Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche
Kaiser William Memorial Church
Date built: 1890s
Original Design: Franz Heinrich Schwechten ; New Design: Architect Egon Eiermann
Location: (tope end of) Kurfürstendamm, Breitscheidplatz
The original church was almost destroyed by bombs in 1943. The spire was saved and sits adjacent to the new rather sever sixties buildings
Current church – four buildings
Date built: 1959-63
Design: Egon Eiermann, Architect
The entrance hall in the base of the damaged spire was reopened to visitors, having been consecrated in January 1987.
Architectural style: Romanesque Revival architecture
Photos © Adrian Welch
The original church on the site was built in the 1890s. It was badly damaged in a bombing raid in 1943. The present building, which consists of a church with an attached foyer and a separate belfry with an attached chapel, was built between 1959 and 1963. The damaged spire of the old church has been retained and its ground floor has been made into a memorial hall.
The Memorial Church today is a famous landmark of western Berlin, and is nicknamed by Berliners “der Hohle Zahn”, meaning “The Hollow Tooth”.
Location:Breitscheidplatz, Berlin, Germany
Berlin Architecture Designs – chronological list
Comments / photos for the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche Berlin Architecture page welcome
Website: Berlin, Germany