Gifford Buildings – East Lothian Architecture

Gifford Architecture, East Lothian Houses, Hotel, Church, Home, Architect, Images

Gifford Buildings, East Lothian

Buildings in eastern Scotland – Architectural Developments + Property

Gifford Architecture

The village takes its name from the 13th-century Sir Hugo de Giffard of Yester, whose ancient Scoto-Norman family possessed the baronies of Yester, Morham, and Duncanlaw in Haddingtonshire, and Tayling and Poldame in the counties of Perthshire and Forfar.

Looking south from centre:
Gifford Buildings

Tweedale Arms
Tweedale Arms Gifford

Goblin Ha Hotel
Goblin Ha Hotel Gifford Buildings

View of axial village building
Gifford Village Building

View east down High St towards Gifford church
Gifford High Street
The earliest recorded presence of a church in the area is in 1241, the ruins of which lie in the woods beside Yester House, to the south-west of the village centre. A church also once stood at Duncanlaw, a former settlement to the south-east of the main village. The present building (in the centre of the village) was built in 1710.

Yester House, just south of Gifford
1699-1728
James Smith and Alexander MacGill, with interventions by William & Robert Adam

Gifford church

Gifford house : The Rink
Date built: 1963
Design: Campbell & Arnott Architects
The occupant at the time of writing is charming architect Ian Arnott, who used to run the architecture practice that built the house (and two houses I have lived in, Editor Adrian Welch)

The first Hugo de Giffard’s grandson, Hugh de Giffard, was a noted magician who built Yester Castle (half a mile south-east of the present-day Yester House), the ruins and an underground chamber (the ‘Goblin Ha’) of which can be seen in Yester Wood. The same Hobgoblin Hall featured in the poem “Marmion” by Walter Scott.

The Mercat Cross was built in 1780 and is still standing in the centre of the village.

Gifford restaurants – reviews : Goblin Ha’ Hotel + Tweeddale Arms Hotel


To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.




Architecture in Scotland

Scottish Architecture Designs – chronological list

Architecture Walking Tours by e-architect

Scottish Buildings – Selection

Historic Scottish Buildings

Scottish Architecture News

Historic Scottish Houses

Website: Architecture

132 Princes Street Offices, Edinburgh, South East Scotland
Design: 3DReid
132 Princes St Office Building by 3DReid
photograph : David Cadzow, Cadzow / Pelosi

132 Princes Street Offices

Ayr Riverside Development, South West Scotland
Architects: Keppie Design ; Masterplan by Niall McLaughlin Architects
Ayr Riverside Office Development | www.e-architect.co.uk
image courtesy of architects

Ayr Riverside Office Building

Traquair, Scottish Borders
Traquair House
photo © Adrian Welch
Traquair House

Scottish Architect Studios

Buildings / photos for the Gifford East Lothian page welcome

Gifford Building : page

Website: Visit Scotland