St James Palace Architecture, Historic London Building, Pall Mall Property
St James Palace London
Key Historic Royal Building in the British Capital, England, UK: Architecture Information
page updated 4 Jul 2014
St James’s Palace
Pall Mall, central London
Built by Henry VIII
Birthplace of Charles II, James II, Mary II & George IV
Nearest Tube: Green Park
St James’s Palace (sometimes incorrectly spelled St James’ Palace) is one of London’s oldest palaces. It is situated in Pall Mall, just north of St James’s Park. Although no sovereign has resided there for almost two centuries, it has remained the official residence of the Sovereign and the most senior royal palace in the UK. For this reason it gives its name to the Royal Court (the “Court of St James’s”). It is the ceremonial gathering place of the Accession Council, which proclaims a new sovereign.
The palace was commissioned by Henry VIII, on the site of a former leper hospital dedicated to Saint James the Less, from which the palace and its nearby park retain their names; the hospital was disbanded in 1532. The new palace, secondary in the king’s interest to Henry’s Whitehall Palace, was constructed between 1531 and 1536 in the red-brick Tudor style around four courtyards: its gatehouse (illustration) survives on the north side, flanked by polygonal turrets with mock battlements, fitted with Georgian sash windows.
Location:Pall Mall, London, UK