Emmanuel College Cambridge, University Architecture, St Andrew’s Street Building, Photos, Architect
Emmanuel College, Cambridge
Historic Higher Education Building in southeast England, UK
Emmanuel College Cambridge
Emmanuel College – Chapel
Front Court, off St Andrew’s St
Date built: 1668-74
Christopher Wren, Architect
Sir Christopher Wren also designed the Chapel at Pembroke College
Emmanuel College – Chapel architect : Sir Christopher Wren
Emmanuel College – The Queen’s Building
off Emmanuel St
Date built: 1993-95/6
Hopkins & Partners, Architects
Emmanuel College – The Queen’s Building : Michael Hopkins
Address: Saint Andrews Street, Cambridge CB2 3AP
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Cambridge Architecture Design – chronological list
Cambridge Architecture Tours : city walks by e-architect
Related Cambridge College Chapel Architecture
Pembroke College – old buildings
Beautiful asymmetric set of courtyards with subtle level changes complete with New Chapel by Christopher Wren in 1665. Sir Christopher Wren also designed the Chapel at Emmanuel College.
Emmanuel College Cambridge: Photos © Adrian Welch 2005
This is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge. The college was founded in 1584 by Sir Walter Mildmay, Chancellor of the Exchequer to Elizabeth I.
In every year since 1998 Emmanuel has been among the top five colleges in the Tompkins Table, which ranks colleges according to end-of-year examination results. Emmanuel has topped the table five times since then (2003, ’04, ’06, ’07 and ’10) and placed second six times (2001, ’02, ’08, ’09, ’11, ’12).
Emmanuel is one of the wealthier colleges at Cambridge with a financial endowment of approximately £105 million and net assets of £150 million (2012).
Sir Walter Mildmay, a Puritan, intended Emmanuel to be a college of training for Protestant preachers.
Like all of the older Cambridge Colleges, Emmanuel originally took only male students. It only first admitted female students in 1979.
Under Mildmay’s instruction, the chapel of the original Dominican Friary had been converted to be the College’s dining hall, with the friar’s dining hall becoming a puritan chapel. In the late 17th century, the College commissioned a new chapel, one of three buildings in Cambridge to be designed by Christopher Wren (1677). After Wren’s construction, the puritan chapel became the College library until it outgrew the space and a purpose-built library was constructed in 1930.
Emmanuel College Queen’s Building : Hopkins Architects
Comments / photos for the Emmanuel College Architecture page welcome
Emmanuel College Cambridge – page