The Gamble House in Pasadena by Charles and Henry Greene, Architecture, News, US Design
The Gamble House in Pasadena
Charles and Henry Greene Residence: 20th Century American Arts and Crafts style Architecture
4 Aug 2016
The Gamble House 50th Anniversary
The Gamble House in Pasadena News
Sunday, September 25, 2016
Self-paced tours with $1 admission, fun family activities, live music and food trucks!
WHAT: The public is invited to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Gamble House being a museum, by going back to 1966 with self-paced tours of the Gamble House for only $1 admission. There will be food trucks, fun family activities on the lawn such as soap carving, kids’ woodworking workshops, live music and much more!
WHEN: Sunday, September 25, 2016; noon – 5:00 p.m.
WHERE: The Gamble House, 4 Westmoreland Place, Pasadena, CA 91103
HOW: gamblehouse.org or (626) 793-3334
Photos: Alexander Vertikoff
January 14, 2016 marked the 50th Anniversary of the gift of the Gamble House from the Gamble family to the City of Pasadena and the University of Southern California. This generous gift agreement allowed the Gamble House to open its doors to the public in September of the same year.
24 Dec 2015
The Gamble House in Pasadena by Charles and Henry Greene
The Gamble House in Pasadena Celebrates Milestone
50th Anniversary as a Museum
Gamble Family Bequeaths House to the City of Pasadena and USC on January 14, 1966
January 14, 2016 marks the 50th Anniversary of the gift of the Gamble House from the Gamble family to the City of Pasadena and the University of Southern California. The Gamble House is the most complete and best-preserved example of American Arts and Crafts style architecture. The house and furnishings were designed by famed architects Charles and Henry Greene in 1908 for David and Mary Gamble of the Procter & Gamble Company. The house, designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1978, is owned by the City of Pasadena and operated by the University of Southern California School of Architecture. The Gamble House is open for public, docent-led tours and for specialty tours and programs.
On January 14, 1966, members of the Gamble family, the City of Pasadena, and the University of Southern California signed a formal gift agreement, and in September of that year the doors of the Gamble House were opened to the public. In the half century since then, The Gamble House has become one of the most beloved premier historic sites in America.
A series of celebratory anniversary events will take place throughout September 2016 including an invitation only dinner for major donors; a fundraising reception to kick-off a new endowment campaign to raise funds to continue to protect the Gamble family’s generous legacy gift to the public with another decade of conscientious preservation; a reception to recognize the contributions of Gamble House docents through the years; an Alumni Day Open House for former Gamble House Scholars in Residence and the USC School of Architecture; and a 50th Anniversary public celebration on Sunday, September 25, with self-paced tours and family-friendly activities and entertainment.
Visitors continue to visit, week in and week out, from around the world to marvel at the beauty imbedded in every square foot of The Gamble House. They come to experience what Charles Greene called “architecture as a fine art.” Hailed by the American Institute of Architects as “formulators of a new and native architecture,” Charles Sumner Greene (1868–1957) and Henry Mather Greene (1870–1954) designed houses and furnishings a century ago that established a new paradigm for the art of architecture in the United States.
Drawing on the skills of outstanding craftsmen, as well as their own polytechnic training, formal architectural education, and natural artistic sensibilities, Greene and Greene created legendary living environments that were beautiful, functional and modern.
The flowering of the Greenes’ careers together was brief and typically benefited a discriminating and wealthy clientele. They produced their most characteristic work between 1906 and 1914, primarily in and around Pasadena. Of their fully coordinated houses with interior furnishings, only the Gamble House survives intact.
For more information on the Gamble House and their 50th Anniversary please visit www.gamblehouse.org.
The Gamble House, Pasadena
About The Gamble House
The Gamble House was designed in 1908 by architects Greene & Greene. It was commissioned by David and Mary Gamble, of Cincinnati, Ohio, as a winter residence.
Photos below courtesy of wikimedia commons:
David Berry Gamble, a second generation member of the Procter & Gamble Company in Cincinnati, had retired from active work in 1895, and with his wife, Mary Huggins Gamble, began to spend winters in Pasadena, residing in the area’s resort hotels. By 1907, the couple had decided to build a permanent home in Pasadena. In June of that year, they bought a lot on the short, private street, Westmoreland Place, passing up the more fashionable addresses on South Orange Grove, known at that time as “Millionaires’ Row.”
At the same time the Gambles were selecting their lot on Westmoreland Place, a house designed by the firm of Greene & Greene was being built for John Cole on a nearby lot. Perhaps meeting the architects at the construction site, and certainly impressed with the other Greene & Greene houses in the Park Place neighborhood, the Gambles met with the brothers and agreed on a commission.
The architects worked closely with the Gambles in the design of the house, incorporating specific design elements such as the family crest among its motifs. Drawings for the house were completed in February 1908, and ground was broken in March. Ten months later, the house was largely finished, the first pieces of custom furniture were delivered, and The Gamble House became the winter home to David Gamble, his wife Mary, and their youngest son Clarence. (Their oldest son Cecil was already working for Procter & Gamble, and their middle son Sidney was at Princeton University.) Mary’s younger sister, Julia, also came to live with the family. By the summer of 1910, all the custom-designed furniture was in place.
David and Mary lived in the house until their deaths in 1923 and 1929, respectively. Cecil Huggins Gamble and his wife Louise Gibbs Gamble began living in the house after Julia’s death in 1944, and briefly considered selling it. They soon changed their minds, however, when prospective buyers spoke of painting the legendary interior woodwork white! The Gambles realized the artistic importance of the house and it remained in the Gamble family until 1966, when it was deeded to the city of Pasadena in a joint agreement with the University of Southern California School of Architecture.
Address: Gamble House, 4 Westmoreland Place, Pasadena, Los Angeles County, CA
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Frank Lloyd Wright : main page with key buildings + images
Guggenheim Frank Lloyd Wright Exhibition, New York, USA
A Long-Awaited Tribute : Frank Lloyd Wright’s Usonian House and Pavilion
photo : David M. Heald, © SRGF, New York
Frank Lloyd Wright Exhibitionat the Guggenheim New York
Frank Lloyd Wright home : photographs exclusive to e-architect
photo © Adrian Welch
Comments / photos for the The Gamble House in Pasadena by Charles and Henry Greenee page welcome
The Gamble House in Pasadena by Charles and Henry Greene Architect : page
Website: The Gamble House in Pasadena