Kilchurn, Loch Awe Castle, Highlands, Photos, Date, Scottish West Coast History, Pictures
Kilchurn Castle : Loch Awe Building
Historic Building in Argyll and Bute, northwest Scotland, UK
Kilchurn Castle Scotland
Location: northeast end of Loch Awe, east of Oban, Scottish Highlands, UK
Kilchurn Castle built in about 1450 by Sir Colin Campbell, first Lord of Glenorchy
Additions in 16th & 17th century
This is a ruined structure on a rocky peninsula at the northeastern end of Loch Awe, in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It was first constructed in the mid-15th century as the base of the Campbells of Glenorchy, who extended both the castle and their territory in the area over the next 150 years. After the Campbells became Earls of Breadalbane and moved to Taymouth Castle, Kilchurn fell out of use and was in ruins by 1770.
The ruin is now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland, and is open to the public during the summer. Access is either by boat from Lochawe pier, or on foot from the A85 near Dalmally. The access is under the railway viaduct that crosses Loch Awe, and access is sometimes restricted by higher-than-usual levels of water in the loch, at which times the site effectively becomes a temporary island. This Scottish castle is a scheduled monument.
Originally this fortified structure was located on an island, but now on a promontory due to water levels changing.
Photos © Adrian Welch 2007
Location: Lochawe, Argyll and Bute, north west Scotland
Architecture in Scotland
Scottish Castles – information & photos
Kisimul Castle Building, north west Scotland
Comments / photos for the Kilchurn Castle Building page welcome