Hamilton Architecture, Competition, Project, Architect, Design, Hypostyle, Winner
Hamilton Building : South Lanarkshire Architecture
South Lanarkshire Development, Strathclyde, west Scotland, UK
Miller Street, Hamilton
Design: Hypostyle Architects
Building on Miller St
Limited design competition : winner
Key Client bodies: Clyde Valley Housing Association; Communities Scotland; Hamilton Ahead
More information online soon
Comments on the Hamilton Buildings page welcome
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Architecture in Scotland
Scottish Architecture Designs – chronological list
Architecture Walking Tours by e-architect
Scottish Architecture News
photo © Keith Hunter Photography
The Hamiltons constructed many landmark buildings in the area including the Hamilton Mausoleum in Strathclyde Park, which has the longest echo of any building in the world. The Hamilton family are major land-owners in the area to this day. Hamilton Palace was the seat of the Dukes of Hamilton until the early-twentieth century.
Other historic buildings in the area include Hamilton Old Parish Church, a Georgian era building completed in 1734 and the only church to have been built by William Adam. The graveyard of the old parish church contains some Covenanter remains. The former Edwardian Town Hall now houses the library and concert hall. The Townhouse complex underwent a sympathetic modernization in 2002 and opened to the public in summer 2004. The ruins of Cadzow Castle also lie in Chatelherault Country Park, 2 miles (3 km) from the town centre.
Buildings / photos for the Hamilton Architecture page welcome
Hamilton Scotland : page
Website: Visit Scotland