Girvan Community Hospital, Ayr Building, Scottish Project, News, Design, Property, Image
Girvan Community Hospital : Ayrshire Building
Ayrshire Health Development, Scotland – design by Austin-Smith:Lord, UK
26 Jul 2010
Girvan Community Hospital
NHS Ayrshire & Arran
Design: Austin-Smith:Lord, UK
The project consists of a new build on a Greenfield site which is a replacement for the existing Davidson Cottage Hospital and Girvan Health Centre. The new building incorporates in-and-out-patient activity (primary and secondary care) as well as General Medical Services, along with accommodation for South Ayrshire Council Social Services and a replacement ambulance station for the Scottish Ambulance Service.
There are eight disparate functions, that are effectively buildings in their own right, that require to be accommodated within a single envelope.
The main uses are;
– Community Casualty Facility
– 26-bed Inpatient Unit
– Accommodation for 2 GP Practices
– Outpatient Consulting Suite including 2 Dental Suites (1 wheelchair access) with recovery room, X-ray, Speech & Language Therapy, Audiology Suite, Decontamination Room, Community Health Education Room and Diagnostic ECG Facility.
– Rehabilitation Suite – Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy including Gym
– Scottish Ambulance Service Accommodation
– South Ayrshire Council Accommodation
– Retail Pharmacy outlet
The building has achieved an ‘A’ rated EPC and a ‘Very Good’ BREEAM rating and incorporates:-
– 700kw biomass boiler
– 100kw wind turbine
– RA in rain recovery
– PIR & daylight control energy efficient lighting
– Food waste vacuum and composting system
– Under floor heating
– FSC timber and recycled construction materials.
The landscape design and existing biodiversity of the site were significant factors in providing the appropriate context for patients, staff and visitors.
The project was completed in March 2010 and opened in April 2010.
Girvan Community Hospital images / information from Keith Hunter / Austin-Smith:Lord
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Recent Buildings by Austin-Smith:Lord – Selection
Roseisle distillery, Speyside, Scotland, UK
image © Keith Hunter
People’s History Museum, Manchester, England
photo © Ian Lawson
People’s History Museum
Woodland View, Irvine, Ayrshire
photo from architects
Ayrshire Mental Health and Community Facility Building – 22 Jun 2016
Comments / photos for the Girvan Community Hospital Scotland page welcome