Walt Disney Family Museum, San Francisco Building, Project, Photo, American Design, Image
Walt Disney Family Museum San Francisco
The Presidio Building in California, USA – design by Rockwell Group
Feb 26, 2010
Walt Disney Museum San Francisco
Location: San Francisco, California, USA
Design: Rockwell Group with Page & Turnbull
Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco
Rockwell Group’s Technology Collaborators:
– Page & Turnbull – Exterior architecture
– Roto Studio (Dublin, Ohio) – interactive design/technology
– Second Story (Portland, OR) – interactive design/technology
– Effect Design (San Rafael, CA) – projection, video technology
– BBI Engineering -audio software and hardware development
– Technifex – optical printer
– Arup – acoustics
– The museum will occupy a former barracks building located on the Presidio’s Main Post in The Presidio in San Francisco. The barracks were built in 1898 and housed soldiers during the Spanish-American war.
– Square Footage: Exhibit: 18,300 sq. ft. Total: 43,100 sq. ft.
– Opening October 2009
– The Walt Disney Family Museum is a new facility that is being developed by the Walt Disney Family Foundation.
– It will provide a permanent source of information on Walt Disney, his accomplishments, and the period of American history that he greatly influenced.
– The museum will showcase an extensive collection of artifacts, archival material, exhibits on animation and motion pictures, the facility will include an auditorium, a children’s learning center with hands-on art programs, a research center, a museum store and a café.
– Rockwell Group is overseeing the interior architecture and exhibition design of the museum as well as the education center and office space.
– The San Francisco-based architecture firm, Page & Turnbull, which specializes in historic preservation, will oversee the building renovations in collaboration with the Presidio Trust.
– Rockwell Group’s goal is to create an immersive, accessible and inspiring environment that educates visitors about the life of Walt Disney by hearing his voice and providing access to his personal artifacts and stories that have previously been inaccessible to the public.
– Storytelling was one of Walt’s greatest talents and will be accomplished with the tools that he used throughout his career: art, music and technology.
– The museum experience will move visitors chronologically, with artifacts as well as scenic and decorative elements in each gallery that show the historical context and suggest a specific time and place in Walt’s life.
– By presenting the story in his own words, visitors will be given direct access to his heart and mind. To add multiple perspectives, the voices of Walt’s collaborators, friends and family will also be heard.
Walt Disney Family Museum – Building in detail
Walt Disney Museum : further information
Walt Disney Family Museum San Francisco images / information from Rockwell Group
Address: 104 Montgomery St, San Francisco, CA 94129, United States of America
Phone: +1 415-345-6800
Location: San Francisco, North California, USA
New Architecture in San Francisco
Contemporary San Francisco Architecture
San Francisco Architecture News
San Francisco Architectural Designs – chronological list
San Francisco Architecture Walking Tours by e-architect
San Francisco Architect – architecture firm listings on e-architect
San Francisco Architecture – Selection
Contemporary Jewish Museum, Mission St
Design: Studio Libeskind
Contemporary Jewish Museum San Francisco
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
Design: Mario Botta / HOK
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
University of California
Design: Rafael Vinoly Architects
Helen Diller Family Cancer Research Building
Comments / photos for the Walt Disney Family Museum San Francisco Architecture page welcome