Serpentin Housing Redevelopment, Pantin Residence, Architect, Parisian Building, Design
Serpentin Housing Redevelopment
Paris Housing: Residential Development – design by Agence RVA
22 Sep 2015
Serpentin Housing Redevelopment in Pantin
Design: Agence RVA
Location: Pantin, Paris, France
The rebirth of the Serpentin public housing development in Pantin, France
The Serpentin housing complex was built by the architect Émile Aillaud during the 1950’s and 1960’s.
At the turn of the twentieth century, the Courtillières neighbourhood was in decline and suffered from a degraded image.
photo © Emile Aillaud
In response to this alarming situation, the French state and local government authorities chose to implement public funds through the National Urban Renewal Agency (ANRU previously known as the “Grand Projet de Ville”) in an effort to remediate the existing conditions for the welfare of the community and its residents.
In 2002, Agence RVA was awarded the contract for the design and rehabilitation of the ensemble of properties belonging to the public housing developer, HLM de Pantin, including the Serpentin housing development, the Fonds d’Eaubonne and Point-de-Pierre housing developments and a public park.
The aesthetic aspects of a building’s façade and its colour scheme were of extreme importance for the architect, but the coloured cement plaster façades were damaged over time due to multiple hasty building interventions and to the wear and tear of the fragile plaster surface material.
Architects in collaboration with a graphic designer decided of a unique and distinguished design. The street front is treated uniformly: a continuous, vertical colour gradient signals the Serpentin within its immediate context. The park-facing façade is treated with multiple, sparkling horizontal colour gradients, varying in length such that the building’s entryways are differentiated from one another.
The Urban Renewal Programme (PRU) and its associated funding enable the amelioration of the housing units’ spatial organisation, the modernization of each unit’s kitchen and sanitary equipment as well as increased thermal and energy performance. The goal is to rehabilitate the Serpentin so that it meets current housing stock standards and codes.
Housing unit figures:
– 635 original housing units > 511 housing units after rehabilitation + a facilities management office;
– 21 housing unit typologies;
– 100 % of housing units with street and park views (except studio units);
– 100 % of housing units with a park view.
– Complete interior renovation: only the exterior walls, floors and windows are conserved;
– Equipment and finish upgrades:
o Installation of new electric and sanitary equipment;
o Installation of a new controlled mechanical ventilation system;
o Realisation of new wall and floor finishes.
Created in 1994 by Dominique RENAUD and Philippe VIGNAUD in France, Agence RVA is a multidisciplinary design firm specialising in architecture, urban planning and design and landscape architecture.
Our recent project commissions include the urban renewal master plan for the Malassis neighbourhood in Bagnolet, France, and the regional plan for the Canal d’Ourq corridor.
• Project site surface area: 75,000m²
• Housing unit density: 80 housing units / hectare
• Building dimensions: Width: 8m pre-rehabilitation, 8.40m after rehabilitation; Length: 1,060m pre-rehabilitation, 970m after rehabilitation
• Building height: 6 storeys (1 ground floor + 5 upper levels) / 16.15m
• Building footprint (in relation to site surface area): 11 %
• Gross floor area: 50,000m²
• Façade surface area: 30,000m²
• Housing units:
– Pre-existing units: 655
– Restructured units: 513
– Demolished units: 60
• Client (public housing developer): Pantin Habitat OPH: 6 avenue du 8 Mai 1945, 93697 Pantin
• Project team:
– Architect: Agence RVA, Dominique Renaud, Philippe Vignaud and Associates
o Principal architect: Nicolas Trentesaux
• Graphic designer: Atelier Pierre di Sciullo: 7-11 rue des Caillots, 93100 Montreuil
• Engineers/Economists: ARCOBA -ARTELIA: 45 avenue Victor Hugo – Aubervilliers, 93534 La Plaine Saint-Denis
• Landscape architect: Agence Vincent Pruvost: 47, boulevard Jeanne d’Arc, 93100 Montreuil
2001 Launch of the public tender process
2002 Laureates designated: RVA-ARCOBA-PRUVOST commissioned for the building rehabilitation project and the residential and public landscape renewal projects
2003-2005 Project design phase
2006 Grant agreement signed with the National Urban Renewal Agency (ANRU)
2007 Construction work order delivered
2008 Façade design phase
2009 Graphic designer, Pierre di Sciullo, commissioned
Additional funding allocated by the National Urban Renewal Agency (ANRU)
2010 Façade prototype realised
2011 Façade construction begins
2012 Residential and public landscape renewal project begins
2015 Construction completed
Photography © Luc Boegly
Serpentin Housing Redevelopment in Pantin images / information from Beckmann-N’Thépé Agency
Location:Pantin, Paris, France
Paris architect office contact details
Urban development of the Masséna district, Paris
Design: Atelier Christian de Portzamparc
photo © Éric Sempé
Parisian Housing Projects
Rue de Picpus
photo : Benoit Fougeirol
Paris Social Housing Design
ZAC Claude Bernard, Paris
Atelier Zündel Cristea
photo © S.Chalmeau
ZAC Claude Bernard
photo Nicolla Borel © Jakob+MacFarlane
Herold Apartments Paris – 100 social apartments
Paris Architecture – Selection
Docks de Paris, Cité de la mode et du design
image © Jakob+MacFarlane
Cité de la mode et du design
C42 – Citroën display building
photo : Philippe Ruault
Comments / photos for the Serpentin Housing Redevelopment in Pantin – Paris Residential Architecture page welcome
Website: Agence RVA