Brooklyn Arts Tower New York – BAM District

Brooklyn Arts Tower, New York, Academy of Music, Architecture, Images, USA, News, Project

Brooklyn Tower, BAM District

NY Building Proposal – design by Behnisch Architekten + StudioMDA

14 Jan 2008

Brooklyn Arts Tower

Behnisch Architekten win competition in Brooklyn, New York

A total of 187 housing units, over half of them affordable to low-, moderate- and middle-income families, will be accommodated in the new Brooklyn Arts Tower in the BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) district, New York. Brooklyn is often referred to as the creative capital of America, a place preferred by artists and those who thrive on cultural activities.

Brooklyn Tower Brooklyn Arts Tower
pictures from architects

Rather than expressing a monolithic tower, often associated with unsuccessful housing projects of the 80s, the architects propose a 120 m height building composed of five stacked mid-rise “Sky-Communities”.

While some apartments have private terraces, balconies and wintergardens, all apartments have access to the communal gardens adjacent to shared building amenities. The multi-stacked typology and the scale of the five communities of mid-rise buildings relates to Brooklyn’s urban fabric and the immediate neighbourhood.

A variety of features ensure low energy consumption and healthy living.
15% of the apartments will be for sale, the other 85% for rent.

Architecture Competition 2007, 1st prize
Behnisch Architekten with StudioMDA

Brooklyn Arts Tower images / information from Behnisch Architekten

Brooklyn Arts Tower architect : Behnisch Architekten


New York City Architecture Designs – chronological list

New York Walking Tours

New York Architecture

New York Architecture News

New York Architects

New York State Architecture

New York Architecture – Selection

New Museum of Contemporary Art – Extension, SoHo
SANAA architects
Museum of Contemporary Art New York
image from architects
Museum of Contemporary Art New York

56 Leonard Street
Herzog & de Meuron
56 Leonard Street
image © Herzog & de Meuron, Basel, 2008
56 Leonard Street

Manhattan Tower : BLUE Residential Tower

Brooklyn Bridge New York

Brooklyn Bridge Park Building
Brooklyn Bridge Park Building
image from architects

Brooklyn Children’s Museum
Brooklyn Children's Museum
image from architects

Brooklyn College – West Quad
Brooklyn College
image from architects

New York Skyscrapers

Website: Visit New York City

Comments / photos for the Brooklyn Arts Tower New York Architecture page welcome

Brooklyn Arts Tower Manhattan – page

Website: New York City