Unite Here Health Office, Los Angeles Building Renovation, Architect, Project, Images
Unite Here Health Office in Los Angeles
Refurbished Work Space Interiors, LA, USA – design by Lehrer Architects
Oct 10, 2016
Unite Here Health Office
Design: Lehrer Architects
Location: Echo Park, Los Angeles, California, USA
Unite Here Health Office in Los Angeles
The design challenge for this healthcare office was updating an aging, dank, disconnected 1960s facility, re-energizing a business’ culture and espirit d’corps.
A dark, disconnected interior is transformed into a vibrant, naturally lit work environment that honors the bones of an existing mid-century building, anchoring it in the city by revealing views to Downtown Los Angeles to the east and Hollywood Hills to the west.
The solution was to leverage the architecture’s excellent 1960s Modernist bones and proportions, revealing its inherent openness for the first time in its existence. The top floor is connected to the adjacent parking, the street below, the City beyond and the sky above. Removed spandrels reveal the openness of the original storefront walls, bringing in light and view. Color and light defines and delineates spaces in an open working environment.
A new connective architectural zone garbed in yellow celebrates arrival and movement through the heart of the facility. From the westerly side a new two-story, street-facing stairwell and its perforated metal stair connect the top floor to this important city street and program below. The stair frames the westerly views of the City and Hollywood Hills and filters afternoon light. At the easterly side a new social deck frames robust views to the adjacent neighborhood and downtown LA skyline beyond. New skylights and glass walls pour massive natural light onto many white surfaces minimizing need for artificial lighting. Acoustical “confetti” baffles dance throughout the open office ceiling and provide visual continuity and noise attenuation.
Sustainability objectives are achieved with new skylights which transform previously artificially lit, dreary spaces into an energetic light-filled work environment. Diffused skylights provide an even spread of natural light to all corners of the open office reducing dependency on overhead lighting during the day. Predominant use of white surfaces on the floor, tabletops, and newly exposed ceilings maximize the bounce and spread of light that enters the space. Large new openings are created on both sides of the building to allow ample natural light into the lobby and allow views to Downtown Los Angeles and Hollywood Hills. From the westerly side old spandrel panels are replaced with low-e glazing at the new double-height entry stair and lobby. At the easterly side an old CMU infill wall is replaced by a new storefront with low-e glazing looking onto the new deck at the office parking.
Unite Here Health Office in Los Angeles – Building Information
Echo Park, Los Angeles, California
28,000 square feet total
16,000 square foot interior renovation
In this “interior” project, Lehrer Architects designs a vibrant, naturally lit work environment that honors the bones of an existing mid-century building and anchors it in the City by revealing views to downtown Los Angeles to the east and Hollywood Hills to the west.
• Update an aging facility, reconfigure and connect the 2nd floor to the street without disrupting the fully operational day-to-day client needs of the tenants below.
• Seamlessly integrate several tenants with very different programmatic needs.
• Accommodate many programmatic, security, acoustical and access requirements.
• Connect the previously dark and disconnected 2nd floor interior to the City by revealing spectacular views and providing a vertical connection with significant presence on the street.
• Use of natural light and color to define and delineate spaces in an open working environment.
• Design a variety of private and public light-filled spaces for working, teaching, training and serving clientele.
• Yellow, perforated metal stair anchors the second floor on this important city street and provides much needed physical connection to the program below; its color defines the procession through public portions of the building; the stair frames the views of the Hollywood Hills and filters the afternoon light.
• Glass walls of perimeter meeting rooms allow natural light to penetrate deep into the floor plate of the building;
• Diffused glass skylights spread the natural light against many white surfaces minimizing the need for artificial lighting.
• Acoustical confetti blades dance throughout the open office ceiling and provide visual continuity and noise attenuation.
• Color defines and shapes space …..
• Strong horizontal datum at the working height enhances the proportion and bones of the existing mid-century building.
• Contract benching workstations provide generous work surfaces which transition from desks, collaboration surfaces to tables needed for working with guests/participants.
• The durable and vibrant epoxy floor bounces light around and is highlighted by continuous stripes which move seamlessly throughout the spaces
• Floor finishes provide continuity between spaces even as the materials transition
• Built-in flexibility and continuity between working/training/learning spaces is obtained through use of a range of transparent/collapsible walls.
Architect: Lehrer Architects
Client: Unite Here Health
Contractor: Turelk, Inc.
January 2015: Project Completed
August 2014: Construction Starts
March 2014: Design Work begins
January 2013 – February 2014: Consultation and Design Concepts
Credit for Images: Lehrer Architects
Unite Here Health Office in Los Angeles information / images received 101016
Location:Echo Park, Los Angeles, California, USA
Los Angeles Architecture
Los Angeles Architecture Designs – chronological list
Wirtschafter Residence, Santa Monica
Design: Enclosures Architects
photo from architects
Santa Monica Residence
Solar Umbrella Residence, Venice
Design: Pugh + Scarpa
photo : Marvin Rand
Residence in Venice
Openhouse, Hollywood Hills
Design: XTEN Architecture
photograph : Art Gray
Hollywood Hills House
Los Angeles Buildings
New Los Angeles Buildings Selection
Walt Disney Concert Hall – Los Angeles Philharmonic
Design: Frank Gehry – Gehry Partners
photo © Andrew McRae
Walt Disney Concert Hall
One Window House, Venice, Los Angeles
Design: Touraine Richmond Architects, California
picture : Benny Chan from Fotoworks
House in Venice
Comments / photos for the Unite Here Health Office in Los Angeles page welcome
Website: Lehrer Architects