Gainsborough Studios, Shoreditch Housing

Gainsborough Studios, Building, Hackney Housing, East London Property, Architect, Images

Gainsborough Studios, London

Shoreditch Properties: Residential Architecture Information – design by Munkenbeck + Marshall

12 Sep 2010

Gainsborough Studios

2001-02

Architect: Munkenbeck + Marshall Architects

Photographs © Adrian Welch Sep 2010:

Gainsborough Building Gainsborough Studios Gainsborough Building London Gainsborough Studios London

Gainsborough Studios – apartments, Hackney, East London, England

Mixed Use Development

£34m

Client: Lincoln Holdings plc

mixed use project

280 new build apartments + restaurant

refurbishment of old film studio

Affordable housing – Southern Housing Corporation

Gainsborough Building Gainsborough Studios Gainsborough Building London Gainsborough Studios London

Munkenbeck + Marshall


To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.

London Architecture

London Architecture Walking Tours

City of London Buildings

Alban Gate
Terry Farrell & Partners
Alban Gate
photo © Adrian Welch

City Point
Design: Santiago Calatrava / Sheppard Robson
City Point
photo © Adrian Welch

Gainsborough Studios History

Gainsborough Pictures was a British film studio based on the south bank of the Regent’s Canal, in Poole Street, Hoxton in the former Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch, London. Gainsborough Studios were active between 1924 and 1951. Built as a power station for the Great Northern & City Railway it was later converted to studios. The former studios were demolished in 2002 and flats built on the site in 2004. A London Borough of Hackney historical plaque is attached to the building. The studio is best remembered for the Gainsborough melodramas it produced in the 1940s.

Gainsborough was founded in 1924 by Michael Balcon and was a sister company to the Gaumont British from 1927, with Balcon as Director of Production for both studios. Whilst Gaumont-British, based at Lime Grove Studios in Shepherd’s Bush produced the ‘quality’ pictures, Gainsborough mainly produced ‘B’ movies and melodramas at its Islington Studios. Both studios used continental film practices, especially those from Germany, with Alfred Hitchcock being encouraged by Balcon—who had links with UFA—to study there and make multilingual co-production films with UFA, before the war. In the 1930s, actors Elisabeth Bergner and Conrad Veidt, art director Alfred Junge, cinematographer Mutz Greenbaum and screenwriter/director Berthold Viertel, along with others, joined the two studios.
Source: wikipedia

Aldermanbury Square
Design: Eric Parry Architects
Aldermanbury Square
photo © Adrian Welch

Moor House
Foster + Partners
Moor House
photo © Adrian Welch

Paternoster Square buildings

St Paul’s Cathedral

Broadgate Centre

London Architect

English Architecture

Shoreditch Housing photographs – originals available upon request: info(at)e-architect.co.uk

Comments / photos for the Gainsborough Studios Building London page welcome

Gainsborough Studios London page