Cambridge Kettle’s Yard, Building, Architect, Design, Jim Ede Project, Dates, History
Kettle’s Yard Development in Cambridge
Modern English Art Gallery, Cambridgeshire, England, UK
Kettle’s Yard Cambridge
Various gallery builidngs – by various architects – have been built on the site over the years since 1957.
Date built: 1957
Set up by Jim Ede
Kettle’s Yard – First Extension
Date built: 1970
Design: Leslie Martin & David Owers
Kettle’s Yard – Second Extension
Date built: 1980
Design: Leslie Martin & Robert Weighton
Kettle’s Yard – Third Extension
Date built: 1984
Design: Leslie Martin & Ivor Richards
Date built: 1994
Design: Bland, Brown & Cole
Date built: 2005-
Design: Jamie Fobert Architects
Address: Kettle’s Yard, Castle Street, Cambridge CB3 0AQ
Contact Kettle’s Yard: 01223 748 100
The building is located on the west side of Castle Street, between Northampton Street and St Peter’s Church.
It was originally the Cambridge home of Jim Ede and his wife Helen, from 1956. Four small cottages were converted into one house with a place to display their collection of early 20th-century art. In 1966, Ede gave the house and collection to the University of Cambridge, but continued living there before moving to Edinburgh in 1973. In 1970, the house was extended, adding an exhibition gallery in a contrasting Modernist style by architect Leslie Martin.
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Cambridge Architecture Design – chronological list
Cambridge University Department of Architecture Extension
photograph : David Butler
Cambridge University School of Architecture
Comments / photos for the Cambridge Art Gallery – Cambridgeshire Architecture page welcome
Kettle’s Yard Buildings – page