Darwin College Cambridge Building

Darwin College Cambridge, Silver Street Building, University Architecture, Photos

Darwin College, Cambridge : Building

Higher Education Buildings on the River Cam, southeast England, UK – design by Dixon Jones Architects

Darwin College Extension

off Silver St – The Backs
Date built: 1993-94
Design: Dixon Jones Architects
Darwin College
photo © Adrian Welch

Darwin College Library: View above from Laundress Green on The Backs

Darwin College Cambridge

Sweet little building perched on the edge of the Cam. The wood looks a bit weary (note gradation from grey below to original richness above) and seems discordant with context but works well with the rich beige brickwork. The balconies and stairs hanging off the facade are quaint to some and fiddly for others but a welcome antidote to much of the recent macho and monumental college architecture. The immediate relationship with the water is superb, feeling more Italian than ‘rules & regulation’ English.

Darwin College Extension : Dixon Jones Architects

Darwin College – addition / redevelopment
2006
5th Studio

Darwin College Addition architects : 5th Studio

Adjacent buildings to Darwin College:

Queens’ College – Cripps Court, The Backs, off Silver St
1972-80
Powell & Moya Architects
Queens' College Cambridge
photo © Adrian Welch

Queens’ College

Queens’ College – Mathematical Bridge, River Cam, off Silver St
1749; rebuilt 1867 & 1902
W. Etheridge
Mathematical Bridge
photo © Adrian Welch

The Backs – Darwin College extension by Dixon.Jones in background
Darwin College Cambridge
photo © Adrian Welch

Darwin College Study Centre won a RIBA Award in 1994

Address: Silver Street, Cambridge CB3 9EU

Location:Silver Street, Cambridge CB3 9EU




Cambridge Architecture

Cambridge Architecture Design – chronological list

Cambridge Walking Tours : city walks by e-architect

Cambridge Buildings

Cambridge Architect Studios

Cambridge Building News

Cambridge University Department of Architecture Extension
Design: Mole Architects
Cambridge University Department of Architecture
photograph : David Butler
Cambridge University School of Architecture