Rotes Rathaus, Berlin Town Hall Building, Hermann Friedrich Waesemann, Photo, Design, Image
Rotes Rathaus Berlin : Architecture Information
Berlin Town Hall, Germany – design by architect Hermann Friedrich Waesemann
page updated 25 Jul 2016 ; 5 Sep 2009
Location: Red Town Hall, Rathausstraße, Mitte
Date built: 1861-69
Design: Hermann Friedrich Waesemann
Photos © Adrian Welch
Location: east of the River Spree, just southwest of Alexanderplatz
Style : Italian High Renaissance
The Rotes Rathaus (German: [ˈʁoːtəs ˈʁaːtˌhaus], Red City Hall) is the town hall of Berlin, located in the Mitte district on Rathausstraße near Alexanderplatz. It is the home to the governing mayor and the government (the Senate of Berlin) of the Federal state of Berlin. The name of the landmark building dates from the facade design with red clinker bricks.
The Rathaus was built between 1861 and 1869 in the style of the north Italian High Renaissance by Hermann Friedrich Waesemann. It was modelled on the Old Town Hall of Toruń, today Poland, while the architecture of the tower is reminiscent of the cathedral tower of Notre-Dame de Laon in France. It replaced several individual buildings dating from the Middle Ages and now occupies an entire city block.
Source: Rotes Rathaus
Buildings close by include:
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Berlin Architecture Designs – chronological list
Jacob Wilhelm Grimm Zentrum
photo © Adrian Welch
Comments / photos for the Rotes Rathaus Berlin Architecture page welcome
Rotes Rathaus Berlin Building