American Architecture Awards 2019 Results, Architects, Chicago Athenaeum News, US Buildings
American Architecture Awards 2019
Most Prominent Architecture Firms in the United States: Building Design Winners – Architectural Prize USA
Aug 18, 2019
2019 American Architecture Awards
American Architecture Awards 2019 News
The Nation’s Highest Public Award for New Architecture by the Most Prominent Architecture Firms in the United States Are Honored at a Gala Reception/Dinner at Arquitectonica’s new Mr. C’s Hotel in Coral Gables, Florida this October 10
MIAMI ARCHITECTS AND DEVELOPERS SELECT OVER 100 DESIGNS FOR NEW BUILDINGS AND URBAN PLANNING PROJECTS IN THE UNITED STATES AND ABROAD FOR THE 2019 AMERICAN ARCHITECTURE AWARDS
The Nation’s Highest Public Award for New Architecture and Urban Planning by the Most Prominent Architecture Firms in the United States Are Honored at a Gala Reception/Dinner in Arquitectonica’s new Mr. C’s Hotel in Coral Gables, Florida this October 10
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS — A new high-rise luxury condominum in Miami by Herzog & de Meuron; a new U.S. Embassy in London by KieranTimberlake; an advanced Uber R&D Center by Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects; low-income housing by SCI Arc/ Darin Johnsone; a new School of Architecture for the University of Miami by Arquitectonia (ARQ); a McDonald’s Chicago Flagship by Ross Barney Architects; a romantic, pre-fabricated house in New Zealand by David Hovey; a Contemporary Museum of Art by Steven Holl Architects; multiple new skyscrapers in Bangkok, New York, Beijing, and Shenzhen by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates; a museum of espionage by Fentress Architects; reclaimed airplane hangers now corporate offfices by Moody Nolan and ZGF; a radical house designed in rural Wisconsin by Brininstool + Lynch; the renovation of Seattle’s iconic Space Needle by Olson Kundig; and Richard Roger’s new 3 World Trade Center in New York head an impressive list of awarded buildings and urban planning projects in the United States for 2019.
Over 100 buildings from a shortlist of 400 have won the prestigious 2019 American Architecture Awards® for the best new architecture designed and constructed by American architects and by international architects with offices in the United States.
Now in its 25th year, The American Architecture Awards are organized by The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies—jointly presenting this annual, prestigious program for Design Excellence and for the best and next contributions to innovative contemporary American architecture.
The American Architecture Awards are the nation’s highest public awards given by a non-commercial, non-trade affiliated, public arts, culture, and educational institution.
This year’s American Architecture Awards went to exceptional buildings designed for every stage of our lives: skyscrapers, corporate headquarters, governmental buildings, science and technology centers, transportation centers, airports, hotels, parks, pavilions, restorations and renovations, retail facilities, housing projects, private homes, schools, universities, art, cultural and health buildings, urban planning and landscape architecture, interiors, and other humanitarian and educational initiatives.
“For 25 years, The American Architecture Awards have presented stunning and meticulously-designed projects that demonstrate quality architecture in the service of clients, as well as the general public, no matter the scale of project,” states Christian Narkiewicz-Laine, Museum President, The Chicago Athenaeum.
“In a matter of 25 years, this program has become the single, most important recognition for Design Excellence in the United States, honoring known and celebrated firms, as well as young upstart offices for their smaller scaled, more challenging projects.”
“This year, the selected firms for these awards have demonstrated their ultimate commitment to bring their expertise and the quality of life that Design Excellence facilitates to projects throughout their regions and beyond.”
‘Winners include what the public has come to identify as ‘architecture’ in the private and public realm, be it a single-family home or an entire city.”
“Innovative or aspirational treatments of the building typology; exquisite expressions of modern design; and forward leaning and progressive design ideas are all expressed this year, across many different scales and regions from skyscrapers in New York to a rural retreat in remote Wisconsin.”
“The awarded buildings have earned their well-deserved recognition, taking some of the most energy intensive and technologically challenging building types to new and higher levels of design and integrated performance.”
“These practices have prioritized the fusion of design and performance, believing that beautiful buildings simply perform beautifully.”
“This year’s winning projects are the buildings that are profoundly shaping American architecture in the 21st-Century. Today’s celebrated award; tomorrow’s landmark,” Narkiewicz-Laine concludes.
This year, entries were reviewed and winners were selected by a prestigious jury composed of the following Miami-based architects, educators, and developers:
• Alejandro Gonzalez, Principal, Arquitectonica (ARQ)
• Carlos Rosso, Executive Vice President, The Related Group
• Luis O. Revuelta, Principal, Revuelta Architecture
• Peter J. Studl, Past Chairman, The Chicago Athenaeum
• Paolo Trevisan, Head of Design, Pininfarina of America
• Sebastian Salvat, Vice President of Development, Fortune International Realty
The Awarded American projects for 2019 are:
1. POD HOTEL BROOKLYN, Brooklyn, New York by Garrison Architects
2. MIDTOWN CENTER, Washington, D.C. by SHoP Architects
3. PIER 17, New York, New York by SHoP Architects
4. ACTON COVE, Annapolis, Maryland, by Bates Masi + Architects
5. UCLA UNIVERSITY EXTENSION ADMINISTRATION HEADQUARTERS, Culver City, California by Johnson Favaro
6. ROSELAND UNIVERSITY PREP, Santa Rosa, Californiam by Aidlin Darling Design
7. TREE HOUSE Palo Alto, California by Aidlin Darling Design
8. GREERS FERRY WATER GARDEN, Heber Springs, Arkansas by the University of Arkansas Community Design Center
9. CENTER FOR FARM AND FOOD SYSTEM ENTREPRENEURSHIP, Fayetteville, Arkansas by the University of Arkansas Community Design Center
10. SOUTH 5TH RESIDENCE, Austin, Texas by Alterstudio Architects
11. FRANCES APPLETON PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE, Boston, Massachusettes by Rosales + Partners
12. NORTHWESTERN MUTUAL TOWERS AND COMMONS, Milwaukee, Wisconsin by Pickard Chilton 13. SUGAR SHACK RESIDENCE, Austin, Texas by Alterstudio Architects
14. KARL MILLER CENTER PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY, Portland, Oregon, by Behnisch Architekten
15. ATCO Campus, Calgary, Alberta, Canada by Pickard Chilton
16. FURIOSO VINEYARDS, Dundee, Oregon by Waechter Architecture
17. KAZAKHSTAN PAVILION: NUR ALEM, Astana, Kazakhstan by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
18. SHERMAN AND JOYCE BOWIE SCOTT HALL, Pittsburgh, Pensylvania by OFFICE 52 Architecture 19. UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO CRERAR SCIENCE QUADRANGLE, Chicago, Illinois by Jacobs/Ryan
20. 6 INDUSTRIAL WAY – OFFICE PARK, Salem, New Hampshire by Touloukian Touloukian Inc.
21. 333 TREMONT STREET RESIDENCES, Boston, Massachussettes by Touloukian Touloukian Inc.
22. ANAHA, Honolulu, Hawaii by Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB)
23. ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, TOOKER HOUSE, Tempe, Arizona by Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB)
24. GATEWAY ARCH MUSEUM, St. Louis, Missouri by Cooper Robertson
25. SLEEVE HOUSE, Taghkanic, New York by actual/office
26. MORI HOSSEINI STUDENT UNION EMBRY-RIDDLE AERONAUTICAL UNIVERSITY, Daytona Beach, Florida by ikon.5 architects
27. JADE SIGNATURE, Sunny Isles Beach, Florida by Herzog & de Meuron
28. DAVID A. TEPPER QUAD PROJECT CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania by Moore Ruble Yudell Architects
29. IVRV, Los Angeles, California by SCI Arc/ Darin Johnsone
30. THOMAS P. MURPHY DESIGN STUDIO BUILDING SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI, Coral Gables, Florida by Arquitectonica (ARQ)
31. GREENPOINT LIBRARY AND ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION CENTER, Brooklyn, New York by Marble Fairbanks
32. VAPOR HOUSE, Bethesda, Maryland by David Jameson Architect
33. 251 1ST STREET, Brooklyn, New York by ODA New York
34. HULL HOUSE, Alexandria, Virginia,by David Jameson Architect
35. 10 JAY STREET, Brooklyn, New York by ODA New York
36. GOOGLE SPRUCE GOOSE, Playa Vista, California by ZGF
37. UBER ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES GROUP R&D CENTER, San Francisco, California by Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects
38. CENTER STREET GARAGE, Berkeley, California by Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects
39. WETA RICHMOND FERRY TERMINAL, Richmond, Virginia, by Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects 40. MASHOUF WELLNESS CENTER, San Francisco, California by WRNS Studio
41. US EMBASSY IN LONDON, London, United Kingdom by KieranTimberlake
42. ECOLOGICAL LIVING MODULE (ELM), New York, New York by Gray Organschi Architecture/Yale School of Architecture
43. RAINBOW BRIDGE, Long Beach, California by SPF:a
44. NVIDIA, Santa Clara, California by Gensler
45. JULIAN B. LANE RIVERFRONT PARK, Tampa, Florida by Civitas, Inc. and W Architecture and Landscape Architecture
46. PROFILES, Mexico City, Mexico by Belzberg Architects 47. HOUSE ETCH, Chicago, Illinois by Studio Dwell Architects 48. THREADS, Mexico City, Mexico by Belzberg Architects
49. MCDONALD’S CHICAGO FLAGSHIP, Chicago, Illinois by Ross Barney Architects
50. CIRCA CENTRAL PARK, New York, New York by FXCollaborative
51. SHELTER ISLAND HOUSE, Shelter Island, New York by Christoff:Finio Architecture
52. FOLDED WINGS, Palo Alto, California by Form4 Architecture
53. DOGTROT, Jackson, Wyoming by Carney Logan Burke Architects
54. WHALE BAY HOUSE, Bay of Islands, New Zealand by David Hovey & Associates Architect, Inc.
55. LUUWIT PARK, SHELTER STRUCTURES, Portland, Oregan by Skylab
56. JULIAN B. LANE RIVER CENTER, Tampa, Florida by !W Architecture & Landscape Architecture
57. CLEAR LAKE RECREATION & WELLNESS CENTER, Clear Lake, Texas by SmithGroup, Inc.
58. INSTITUTE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH, Richmond, Virginia by Steven Holl Architects
59. ERIK JONSSON SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING AND COMPUTER SCIENCE WEST UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS, Richardson, Texas by SmithGroup, Inc.
60. 55 HUDSON YARDS, New York, New York by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
61. CANOPY HOUSE, Austin, Texas by A Parallel Architecture
62. GoSpotCheck HEADQUARTERS AT 1500 MARKET STREET, Denver, Colorado, by Tryba Architects
63. ROSEWOOD BANGKOK, Bangkok, Thailand by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
64. HEALTH EDUCATION BUILDING UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER, Kansas City, Kansas by CO Architects
65. LONE TREE PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE, Lone Tree, Colorado by Fentress Architects
66. THE MARY F. ROUNSAVALL PAVILION, Crestwood, Kentucky by de Leon & Primmer Architecture Worksh
67. MCCOMBS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS ROBERT B. ROWLING HALL THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN, Austin, Texas by Ennead Architects
68. NATIONAL MUSEUM OF INTELLIGENCE AND SPECIAL OPERATIONS, Ashburn, Virginia by Fentress Architects
69. LR2 RESIDENCE, Santa Monica, California by Montalba Architects
70. APPLE SCOTTSDALE FASHION SQUARE, Scottsdale, Arizona by Ennead Architects
71. TRADE CRAFT INDUSTRIES, Denver, Colorado by Roth Sheppard Architects
72. BALTIMORE SLATE HOUSE, Brooklandville, Maryland by Ziger|Snead Architects
73. BROOKYN NAVY YARD MASTER PLAN, Brooklyn, New York by WXY architecture + urban design 74. NEW YORK STATE PARKS CABINS, Long Island, New York by WXY architecture + urban design
75. CONNOR HANGAR, Miamisburg, Ohio by Moody Nolan
76. 3 WORLD TRADE CENTER, New York, New York by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
77. LAREDO CONFERENCE CENTER, Laredo, Texas by Trahan Architect
78. CHINA RESOURCES HEADQUARTERS, Shenzhen, China by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
79. 111 NORTH, Baton Rouge, Louisiana by Trahan Architecs
80. SPECTRAL BRIDGE HOUSE, Venice, California by Ehrlich Yanai Rhee Chaney Architects
81. PLATFORM 16, San Jose, California by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
82. TATA INNOVATION CENTER AT CORNELL TECH, New York, New York by WEISS/MANFREDI
83. MINMETALS FINANCIAL CENTER, Shenzhen, China by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners Architects
84. CORNELL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF VETERINARY MEDICINE, Ithaca, New York, by WEISS/MANFREDI
85. LA MORALEJA VILLA, Madrid, Spain by XTEN Architecture
86. CITIC TOWER, Beijing, China by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
87. ONE HILL SOUTH, Washington, D.C. by Morris Adjmi Architects
88. LINK FARM HOUSE, Dutchess County, New York by Slade Architecture
89. ION CITY HOTEL, Iceland by Minarc
90. ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY ISTB-7, Tempe, Arizona by Studio Ma
91. PAPER MILL HOUSE, Pennsylvania by MSR Design
92. WABAUNSEE COUNTY HOMESTEAD, Alma, Kansas by el dorado inc.
93. THE ACCELERATOR AT HIGHLANDER, Omaha, Nebraska by el dorado inc.
94. 8511 WARNER, Culver City, California by Eric Owen Moss Architects
95. THE CENTRAL + WOLFE CAMPUS, Sunnyvale, California by HOK
96. AC HOTEL DALLAS BY THE GALLERIA, Dallas, Texas by 5G Studio Collaborative
97. BROOKLYN BRIDGE PARK BOATHOUSE, New York, New York by Architecture Research Office
98. NORTH BEACH PARK, Santa Monica, California by Patrick TIGHE Architecture
99. SLITHER / HOLLYWOOD HILLS HOUSE, Los Angeles, California by Patrick TIGHE Architecture 100. MP3, Mineral Point, Wisconsin by Brininstool + Lynch
101. THE CENTURY PROJECT FOR THE SPACE NEEDLE,Seattle, Washington by Olson Kundig
102. MOODY CENTER FOR THE ARTS, Houston, Texas by Michael Maltzan Architecture, Inc.
103. nomaad living, Vittorio Veneto, Venice, Italy by Giorgio Borruso Design
104. INDOOR/OUTDOOR SCULPTURE GARDEN – 56 LEONARD, New York, New York by SheltonMindel
105. SOROS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT, New York, New York by SheltonMindel
The American Architecture Awards, founded 25 years ago, is a centerpiece of The Chicago Athenaeum and the European Centre’s efforts to identify and promote best practices in all types of architectural development and to bring a global focus to light of the best new designs from the United States. It is the only national and global program of its kind.
On Thursday, October 10, The Chicago Athenaeum will host an Awards Presentation/Gala Dinner at Arquitectonica’s new hotel, Mr. C Coconut Grove, 2988 Mcfarlane Road in Miami.
Ticket information is available by contacting The Chicago Athenaeum at +815/777-4444.
All awarded buildings and urban planning projects are presented in (Global Design + Urbanism XIX) New American Architecture published by Metropolitan Arts Press Ltd.
Books can be purchased by contacting The Chicago Athenaeum or on-line at metropolitanartspress. com.
The deadline for the 2020 American Architecture Awards is February 1, 2020.
Applications for 2020 are available on line at www.chi-athenaeum.org.
American Architecture Awards 2018 images / information from The Chicago Athenaeum, 180819
Previously on e-architect:
2018 American Architecture Awards
American Architecture Awards 2018
The Chicago Athenaeum | 601 S Prospect St., Galena, IL 61036 USA
Phone +1 815 777-4444 | email@example.com | www.chi-athenaeum.org
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
American Architecture Awards Winner in 2017
Paul Ferro, Robert J. Giannini, John Marx, and James Tefend of Form4 Architecture
The Nation’s Highest Public Award for New Architecture by the Most Prominent Architects
Comments / photos for the American Architecture Awards 2019 page welcome