Leslie Martin, Architect, Cambridge, English Works, Design, Projects, Architectural Office England
Leslie Martin Architect
20th Century Architecture Practice, England, UK Design Studio Information
Leslie Martin – Key Projects
Major Designs by this 20th Century British architect, alphabetical:
Faculty of Music, West Rd, Cambridge, England, UK
Dates built: 1978-84
Design: with Colen Lumley & Ivor Richards
Glasgow International Concert Hall, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Scotland
Date built: 1990
building photo © Adrian Welch
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall Building
Harvey Court, Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge, south east England
Date built: 1960-62
Leicester University College Hall buildings, central England
Design: with Trevor Dannatt
Own house and studios, converted mill, Great Shelford, south east England
William Stone Building, Peterhouse College, Cambridge
Date built: 1963-64
More buildings / projects online soon
The George Porter Building, Leicester University, houses the department of Chemistry. Completed in 1961 it was designed by Architects Co-Partnership as part of the Leslie’s masterplan.
The Rattray Building was the pivotal building in Leslie’s 1957 masterplan for the northern end of the campus. The plan is arranged in the form of a ‘pinwheel’, with the Rattray at the centre, and the perimeter buildings arranged orthogonally around it, a device used in other projects by Martin in Cambridge and in College Hall (also a University building, in Knighton, now being redeveloped as housing) by Trevor Dannatt, an associate of Martin’s at that time.
Location: Manchester, England, UK
Leslie Martin – Practice Information
Leslie Martin – Winner of RIBA Gold Medal in 1973.
Leslie Martin – Background
Leslie Martin’s father was an architect. Martin was born in Manchester and studied at Manchester University School of Architecture, qualifying in 1930 and remaining there as a teacher until 1934 when he became Head of Hull’s School of Architecture.
In 1939 Leslie was appointed Principal Assistant Architect to the LMS Railway, occupying the post throughout the War, involved in designing emergency wartime buildings.
Appointed Deputy Architect to the London County Council, he led the team of architects that designed the Royal Festival Hall building.
in 1953 Martin succeeded Sir Robert Matthew as LCC Architect.
Leslie was appointed to the first Chair of Architecture at Cambridge in 1956, a position he held until his retirement in 1972.
At the same time, Leslie set up an architectural practice in Cambridge after having first built his own house & studios in a converted mill in Great Shelford. Leslie Martin completed his last building in 1990
Harvey Court – designed with Patrick Hodgkinson architect – was a radical development for Cambridge in the 1960s and the building is probably Leslie Martin’s most famous work.
Leslie married Sadie Speight, architect, in 1934. She died in 1992 and he is survived by his son and daughter.
Leslie Martin : Cambridge Architecture
image © Adrian Welch
Honours / Positions
Received Royal Gold Medal: 1973
Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge from 1956-73
Honorary Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge from 1973-99
Key building adjacent to Glasgow Royal Concert Hall : Buchanan Galleries
The name of this architect lives on in the Martin Centre for Architectural Studies, Cambridge
Comments / photos for the Leslie Martin Architecture – 20th Century Architecture Practice in England page welcome