ATARIA Building, Basque Architecture, Architect, Centre, Vitoria Design, Photo
ATARIA, Vitoria, España : Basque building
Vitoria building, Basque country, Spain – design by QVE arquitectos
|1 Sep 2008
Nature interpretation centre/ visitors centre of SALBURÚA (VITORIA)
Centro de Interpretación de la Naturaleza de Salburúa, Spain
Location: Sector 15 de Salburúa – Paseo de la Biosfera, 4 – Vitoria
Photographs: Eduardo Moratinos & QVE arquitectos
As a resume:
Now the building is just finished, the area must now reborn (trees, grass, flowers) and the wood must age…years will improve it, we bet!
We have five starting points:
- A suggestive program: a center for visitors, a place to make contact with the wetlands you are going to visit later on; this will be the front and main door to the park, that is to say, a threshold between two worlds, urban and natural.
- An intense “wood-smell”: yes, this is subjective, but as element of mediation with the nature, wood arose from the very first moment as a desire, the perfect material which could take advantage of time… let’s say “the older the better”…
- The opportunity to make a hard to cover bet: this project was born as a competition, just with a considerable lack of inhibition which helps to risk and to try to arrive where you had never tried to arrive.
- And a lot of joy of playing with gravity…
- The will to project the building beyond its limits, flying over the water to put the visitors in a privileged place: just inside the park, once forgotten the city at their backs, over the water, in a point at which you could not arrive otherwise: a twenty one meters span cantilever only made of wood and steel reinforcements.
- And the will for not mask the structure during the constructive process.
The great difficulty of the project was based therefore in estimating which were the possible laws which would be coherent with a risky construction scheme.
We did not want to make a “wood-looking-building” but a real wood-building.
In a few words, we needed some time for all those items to find an order which would avoid conflicts and which would allow the building to “grow by himself”.
ATARIA – NATURE INTERPRETATION CENTRE / VISITORS CENTRE
World Architecture Festival Awards 2008 – Holiday Category Finalist
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Spanish Architecture – Selection
Hotel Puerta America
various interiors by famous architects
image from Hotel Puerta America website
Spanish hotel building
Country House, Morna Valley
DeBlacam & Meagher
photograph : Peter Cook
Ibiza Country House
Camp Nou Stadium Redevelopment
Foster + Partners
image : Foster + Partners
Nou Camp Stadium Barcelona
Comments / photos for the ATARIA Vitoria Architecture page welcome