Four different building parts around the central fuel station and three salt silos, simple and elegant blocks, are arranged around a courtyard. A single continuous eaves line connects all the parts of the building.
In the course of the revitalisation of the former Werzer cinema in Pörtschach, which was designed by the well-known “Wörthersee-Architect” Franz Baumgartner in 1930, parts of the roof truss were raised to make room for a spacious penthouse.
Subtly embedded in the village pattern, this new building involves typical local elements. In an area of boundaries and actual fences, the embracing unity of house and court forms a sense of security and ease.
One of Austria’s most popular attractions with an average of 600 000 visitors annually. Snøhetta contributed with three main elements to the expansion; a playtower and adjacent playground, a shop entrance, and a café / restaurant area.