St John’s Wood Barracks, Queen’s Terrace Building, Military Architecture London, Design
Queen’s Terrace Barracks : St John’s Wood London
Queen’s Terrace Barracks St John’s Wood – design by John McAslan and Partners
20 Sep 2010
Queen’s Terrace St John’s Wood
Military Barracks plans given the go ahead
Architects: John McAslan and Partners
Westminster Council approved plans to develop the prestigious site – which has been used by the army for nearly 200 years – into 133 flats and houses, of which 50% will be affordable housing, as well as a new private leisure centre.
The King’s Troop is due to leave the barracks next year after which the existing army buildings will be demolished and replaced with 12 apartment blocks, eight semi-detached villas and seven terraced town houses to provide 74 private homes and 59 affordable homes. The proposal includes refurbishing 16 flats in Queen’s Terrace, so the number of new properties will total 117.
The site’s Grade II listed riding school building will remain and be converted to provide the new private leisure centre.
As part of the Section 106 agreement – money negotiated by council officers as part of the planning application process and used in part to pay for the increased pressure on services – developers The Trustees of the Eyre Estate will contribute over £1million towards local early years provision, primary and secondary education.
They have also agreed to invest £100,000 in an adventure playground and provide a tenant’s hall at a peppercorn rent for local residents.
Cllr Robert Davis, deputy council leader and chairman of the planning applications committee, said: “This marks an exciting new phase for this historic site, and although it will be sad to see the King’s Troop leave, the proposed development will greatly enhance the local area.
“The scheme skilfully combines modern and traditional architecture, and is of a high quality design which is sympathetic to the surrounding area.
“The fact that half the homes will be affordable along with the creation of a leisure centre in the Grade II listed riding school, ensures the development benefits the whole community, while protecting the architectural heritage of this wonderful site.”
The St John’s Woods Barracks is one of the few barracks built during the post-Waterloo period to improve security in the capital. The riding school which dates back to 1825 is the only major remaining part of the original barracks.
The rest of the barracks consists of the neo-classical Officers’ Mess dating from 1921 and various modern buildings built in the 1970s.
The development has been designed by architects John McAslan and Partners.
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Chelsea Barracks – another west London redevelopment
St John’s Wood / Marylebone Architecture – Selection
The Long House, Abercorn Place
Keith Williams Architects
photo : Hélène Binet
St John’s Wood House
Hampden Gurney School, Marylebone
photo © Nick Weall
Hampden Gurney School
Hanger Lane Buildings
photo © Nick Weall
Buildings / photos for the Queen’s Terrace Barracks – St John’s Wood Architecture page welcome
Queen’s Terrace Barracks – page