Giants Causeway, Ireland, News, Images, Architect, Moyle, Project
Giant’s Causeway Visitor Centre, Northern Ireland
Visitor Centre Building in Northern Ireland – design by Heneghan Peng Architects
Giant’s Causeway Visitor Facilities, Northern Ireland
New images added 25 Feb 2013:
Giant’s Causeway World Heritage Site
Design: Heneghan Peng Architects
Approval Jan 2009 – Northern Ireland Environment Minister rules no appeal referral for the planning application, so construction can now proceed:
The National Trust welcomes Ministerial announcement to grant planning permission for Visitor Facilities at the Giant’s Causeway
The National Trust today, Tuesday 27 January 2009, welcomed the announcement by Minister for the Environment, Sammy Wilson MLA, that he intends to grant planning approval for replacement visitor facilities at the Giant’s Causeway.
“This is a very significant day for the Giant’s Causeway, and the people of Northern Ireland. This approval means that the Giant’s Causeway will continue to be cared for for future generations. Equally today is about welcoming the potential to create new jobs within our economy, delivering employment for local communities, and enhancing tourism in Northern Ireland.”
“Since 2007, the Trust has taken the lead in the development of new facilities at the Causeway with the agreement of Moyle Council. Today’s announcement takes us a step further, however, there is still much to achieve. This project will continue to require the full support of all partners.”
“Last month we received the very good news that we had passed the first stage in our request for funding of £3 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund. We have also submitted a business plan to support an application for £9.25m from the Northern Ireland Tourist Board. Subject to this funding being in place and tendering being completed, we hope to be on-site by the end of this year with the new visitor centre open in 2011,” Hilary concluded.
Architecture competition winners 2006 : Heneghan Peng Architects
The National Trust unveils Planning Application and announces over £6million investment for new facilities at the Giant’s Causeway
The National Trust, Northern Ireland’s largest conservation charity, today 12 June 2008, will unveil its vision for new visitor facilities at the Giant’s Causeway. Since November, the charity has taken the lead on the delivery of facilities at the Causeway, in partnership with Moyle District Council. The Trust will also announce a funding commitment of over £6 million towards the delivery of facilities at the World Heritage Site.
The Trust’s Director for Northern Ireland, Hilary McGrady, said:
“We said we would deliver and we have. Today we have submitted a full robust planning application befitting the Giant’s Causeway World Heritage Site and the surrounding landscape. This design brought to us by heneghan.peng.architects Dublin, was selected as the winner of the International Design Competition in 2005. The visitor facilities will have a strong environmental basis and a focus on sustainability, with no additional green field development.”
“The Trust in partnership with Moyle District Council has made enormous progress since last November. Today is a significant milestone, and we are confident and determined to deliver visitor facilities which will enhance tourism and benefit the local area and indeed everyone in Northern Ireland.”
Discussing the Trust’s announcement of investment towards the project, Hilary said;
Looking ahead to the next stage of the process, Hilary said:
“This really is a significant milestone for the Giant’s Causeway, the National Trust and Moyle District Council. We are confident that this Planning Application, and the proposal we have mapped out will deliver the key objectives set out by the former Enterprise Minister, Nigel Dodds: a solution which will protect the integrity of the World Heritage Site in line with UNESCO’s requirements, provide world-class visitor facilities, will be good value to the public purse and will be timely.”
Giant’s Causeway Visitor Facilities – Timeline
September 2007 The National Trust and Moyle District Council agree to joint principles regarding realising new visitor facilities at the Giant’s Causeway. These are facilities should remain in public ownership, there should be no impact on the World Heritage status of the site, and the heneghan.peng international competition winning design should be delivered.
November Moyle District Council agrees in principle to lease its holdings at the Giant’s Causeway to the National Trust to allow the Trust to take the lead in development of new facilities.
The National Trust and Moyle District Council jointly request release of design information to allow development of planning application.
December DETI agrees to give the National Trust access to all information relating to proposed new visitor facilities at the Giant’s Causeway emanating from the international design competition.
January 2008 The National Trust undertakes assessment on and confirms viability of previous Government led scheme.
February DETI and the National Trust agree a Memorandum of Understanding allowing the charity to use information relating to proposed new visitor facilities at the Giant’s Causeway emanating from the international design competition to develop a planning application.
The National Trust confirms the appointment of heneghan.peng as architects for proposed new visitor facility.
The National Trust, advisors and architects agree changes to designs without affecting concept.
Formal pre-application discussions begin with Planning Service who confirm that the application is of strategic national importance and will be dealt with by Special Projects Team in Headquarters.
March The National Trust confirms the appointment of the Hamilton Architects design team for the proposed new facility.
April – May Detailed design work undertaken to allow for the submission of planning application.
Environmental and traffic assessments completed.
June Moyle District Council formally agrees Heads of Terms with The National Trust which will allow the Trust to take over the management of the whole World Heritage Site and lead on the development of new visitor facilities.
DETI formally consents to allowing the National Trust to use the international competition winning design.
The National Trust submits a full planning application for new visitor facilities at the Giant’s Causeway.
Subject to Planning Approval by end 2008
Autumn 2009 Building work to commence
2011 Visitor Facilities open
Giants Causeway Visitor Centre images / information from National Trust + heneghan.peng.architects 180608
Giants Causeway Visitor Centre design : Heneghan Peng
Giants Causeway Building
To see all listed projects on a single map please follow this link.
Kildare Civic Offices, Republic of Ireland
image © Hisao Suzuki
Kildare County Council Offices
Public Records Office of Northern Ireland
photo from RIBA
Public Records Office of Northern Ireland
Maze Stadium, Northern Ireland
Northern Irish Architecture : Belfast
Sligo building : Irish building
Lewis Glucksman Gallery : Irish building
Comments / photos for the Giants Causeway Building page welcome
Giants Causeway Ireland Architecture
Further details of the planning application : www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giantscauseway